We have been doing this community project for a number of years.
We currently clean Highway 97 once or twice a year.
We typically meet at a local business office in the Business Park for coffee and doughnuts and then head out. Maximum time for this project is 2 hours.
Many Rotarians and other volunteers get involved with this event.
The project is in cooperation with Deschutes County, who provide the garbage bags and safety vests. We pile up the bags and they pick them up.
from the Deschutes County Road Department
- Use "Litter Patrol" signs.
- Wear Orange/Yellow Vests.
- Everyone must work on the same side of the road at the same time.
- No one under 18 years of age at the clean-up site without a
- Liability Release for Minor Form on record in their office.
Call into the Road Department with the approximate number of bags for them to pickup when finished.
Inform them of any broken glass or flagged items.
Designate a Bag for broken glass ONLY!
When the bag is full, close and tie the bag AND put into another bag;
LEAVE THE OUTER BAG OPEN.
DO NOT PICK UP THE FOLLOWING ITEMS - Just FLAG them.
- Containers that are suspicious
- Possible containers of hazardous chemicals
- Large or Heavy items.